Bottom Up Jump Page

This page is intended as a starting point for thinkers who enjoy starting from the discrete pieces and specific issues, and working up towards the whole.

The Lionsberg System attempts to zoom in and out from bottom up thinking to top down thinking to attempt to see the entire gestalt and interrelationships among all the elements, as well as the discrete pieces that must be fixed and executed upon.

This apparent dichotomy frequently can create a sense of discomfort or fear from bottom up thinkers, who feel Lionsberg is lost in concept, or top down thinkers, who think Lionsberg is lost in the weeds.

Perhaps the best way to think of it is that Lionsberg is like a pragmatic building project, in which we must simultaneously understand the Designer's Intent, as well as differentiate and fix the discrete elements and immediate pragmatic actions.

The meeting ground in between top and down and bottom up thinking is perhaps to begin with the notions of patterns, and the co-creation of a modular Kit of Parts / Prototype that can be "dropped in" or "instantiated" in a given community or domain.

The Prototypical "Kit of Parts" would need to address each one of the "Tiles" in the "Mosaic" of Problems and Needs that are common to any community.

1: Problems and Needs

We could imagine ourselves listening carefully to, wandering around, and exploring 100 different communities.

We could then imagine ourselves recognizing the patterns, problems, and needs that were common to the communities, and the gaps that were present.

We could then imagine ourselves separating those patterns / problems / needs / gaps out into General Issues that were common to All...

As well as Specific Issues that were truly unique to an individual instance.

Business and social studies have seemed to show that approximately 80% to 90% of the needs, issues, problems, and patterns are General or common to All, and that the remaining 10% or so would are truly unique and specific to a locality.

These common patterns / gaps / needs would forge a kind of Mosaic of discrete elements or "modules" that would need to be addressed in any individual / local community that was trying to solve its problems and develop towards its potential.

The discrete / modular / tiles would need to fit together to forge a Mosaic or Whole.

For the General Issues, it would be wise to forge General Solutions that addressed the core pattern / gap, rather than treating each instance as a separate issue.

These General Solutions would become like a modular Kit of Parts, contained in a Prototype, that could be localized and instantiated in any domain. The Prototype is like a pattern that could be improved and repeated over an over again.

2: A Prototype / Kit of Parts

The Prototype / Kit of Parts could be constructed such that it could be "dropped in" to any local area, localized and customized.

Rather than being a one-size-fits-all solution, it could be constructed such that the modular components were Interoperable, and could be customize and implemented in a wise sequence as determined by the local community.

Each Module would form one tile of a Mosaic, that was a relatively complete solution to the problems and needs likely to be inherent in any community.

3: Learning and Improving

We could imagine that each time each module was deployed, the local community would make mistakes, discover problems, and learn.

And we could imagine that those mistakes and learnings could be the basis for folding those lessons learned back into each Module of the Prototype.

This would ensure that the 10th time a module was deployed, the community would benefit from the aggregated learnings of the first 9 attempts, and so on.

4: An Infrastructure to Deploy and Localize the Prototype

If we had a heart of Love and wanted to help solve these patterns in more than the 5 or 20 communities we might be able to reach individually over the next 5 to 10 years...

We would need to create Modular Prototype, constructed as a "Kit of Parts", that could be "dropped in" or "instantiated" in any local community.

Recognizing that we needed to repeat the pattern many times, we would want to construct shared infrastructure so that each of 1,000 instances was not starting from scratch to build the same solutions.

In other words, we would not want to continually "reinvent the wheel."

Pages that link to this page